M-Pesa Agent Requirements, Sub-Agents, Application and Commission
M-Pesa is a secure mobile money transfer, and microfinancing service. It is a Safaricom product that facilitates money transfers via phone and was launched in 2007.
M-Pesa Agent Requirement
As any other business or job in Kenya, there are requirements or qualifications for one to become an M-Pesa Agent. The first requirement to become an M-Pesa agent is to have an aggregated M-Pesa sim card. To get the sim card, register with an authorized Safaricom dealer. Below is a simple guideline on the requirements you ae required to meet to become an M-Pesa Agent:
- You must have a registered limited company that has been operation for the last six months.
- Have at least three outlets operating under a registered limited company
- Pay the amount charged by the Safaricom M-pesa dealer to acquire the Sub agent aggregated till line
- As an agent, maintain a minimum float of Ksh.30, 000 for the M-pesa till line
- To provide your details such as your full names, national ID and contact information etc.
- A certificate of good contact and its ID of the operator should be provided.
- The details of the business including the name
- Any other equipment or item necessary to conduct the business like desks, chairs, stationary, pens etc.
M-Pesa sub agents are the most common and are the once seen and visited often. To become a sub agent, you must work under a Safaricom agent. The agent provides the sub agent with a till which they will be using for MPESA transactions.
The Sub agent gets 80% of the earnings while the Agent receives 20% from the sub agent’s earnings. The sub agent also loses control over the float since the agent manages it.
Sub agent requirements and application
- The following are the requirement to meet before being issued with the M-Pesa line by a Safaricom M-Pesa agent or dealer.
- You must provide Safaricom with the permits for all your outlets to get an M-Pesa line.
- You must also provide Safaricom with police clearance, banking license from a reputable financial institution and tax certificates.
- Your national ID
- M-pesa minimum float of Ksh. 20,000
- Once you present all the required requirements, you will need to fill in an application form for your M-pesa agent head office.
- You will then get an M-Pesa line that you will be using.
M-Pesa Agent application
Once you have met all the requirements, fill in the M-pesa agent head office application form and the M-pesa store application form.
Once you have filled and submitted your forms Safaricom will review them. You meet all the requirements you will be given a till number that you will use.
M-pesa Agent Commission
|Amount (transaction band)||Deposit commission in Ksh.||Withdrawal commission in Ksh.|
|50 – 100||4||5|
|101 – 510||8||8|
|511 – 1,010||9||10|
|1,011 – 1,510||10||12|
|1,511 – 2,510||11||15|
|2,511 – 3,510||12||20|
|3,511 – 5,010||14||25|
|5,011 – 7,510||20||30|
|7,511 – 10,010||28||35|
|10,011 – 15,010||40||45|
|15,011 – 20,020||55||60|
|20,021 – 25,020||71||65|
|25,021 – 30,020||87||70|
|30,021 – 35,020||103||70|
|35,021 – 40,020||119||100|
|40,021 – 45,020||135||150|
|45,021 – 50,020||150||180|
|50,021 – 60,020||190||200|
|60,021 – 70,000||190||200|