Steps on How to activate Airtel Money
Airtel is an Indian firm that operates in 18 countries across the globe. It is the main competitor for Safaricom in Kenya. Just like Safaricom, it offers mobile network services and Airtel Money is one of them.
Airtel Money is a secure electronic service that enables Airtel Money users to send, store and receive money, make certain payments and so much more at the palm of their hands via their phone.
Upon any transaction, money is instantly deposited to the recipient’s Airtel Money accounts. All you require is the recipient’s Airtel mobile phone number. The transaction can be done anywhere anytime. To all Airtel mobile network users, registration for Airtel Money is free.
Below is a simple guideline on how to activate your Airtel money:
- Visit your nearest Airtel Money Agent or any Airtel shop countrywide
- Fill in a customer registration form
- Provide your original identification document, it can either be Kenyan National ID, Up to date Passport, Military ID, or an Alien ID
- Upon registration, you will receive an SMS from Airtel confirming your successful registration on Airtel Money.
- Next, on your phone dial *334#
- You will be prompted to set your preferred 4-digit Airtel Money PIN followed by a Security Question.
Never share your Airtel Money PIN with anyone, it should always be kept a secret at all times.
The security Question will always help you reset your Airtel Money PIN.
How to activate Airtel Money Online
- Open your phone and go to the Airtel Money website or the Airtel app
- Register your Airtel SIM card with a passport photo and a valid National ID for nationals or a passport for foreigners
- Once registered, you are also automatically registered on Airtel Money
- Dial *197# to check your registration status
- Then dial *185# to request your activation code
- Next, select the activate account option
- Key in the activation code you will receive via SMS
After activating your Airtel Money account the Main Menu will appear with the following options:
- Send money (this option allows you to send money to any mobile network in Kenya)
- Buy airtime
- Withdraw money (this option allows you to withdraw money from either an Airtel agent or a bank ATM in Kenya)
- Pay bills with the following options:
- Paying salaries in Kenya
- Electricity bill payment in Kenya
- Water bill payment in Kenya
- Mobile banking option in Kenya
Lipa na Airtel Services
Airtel money allows you to buy goods and pay for services from merchants with a paybill money. To use this service go to the Airtel money on your phone or use the USSD short code *222#.
How to transfer money from Airtel Money to M-Pesa
To transfer money from Airtel money to M-Pesa follow the simple guideline below:
- On your phone dial *224#
- Select the Send money option
- Next, select send to Mpesa
- Enter the recipient Safaricom number
- Enter the amount you wish to send
- Confirm all the details for this transaction to make sure you make no mistake
- Input your secret Airtel Money PIN and press okay
- Upon successful transaction, you will receive a confirmation email that your transaction has been approved.
How to send money abroad with Airtel Money
Airtel has an added advantage that allows you to send money abroad. However, this depends on the country in which you are located and that of the recipients. For instance, Airtel Money Users in Kenya can easily send money to other Airtel Money users in Rwanda, Tanzania, Zambia & Malawi.
To use the service, follow the simple guideline below:
- Dial *222#
- Select Send Money
- Select International Money Transfer
- Select the country where money is to be sent
- Enter the recipient’s mobile number starting with the country code (for instance 255 for Tanzania, 250 for Rwanda, etc.)
- Enter the Amount you wish to transfer
- Confirm details of the transaction
- Enter your secret Airtel Money PIN
- Select a reason for the transfer and complete the transaction
- The recipient will receive funds in their country’s currency
Airtel Money Charges
Below is a guideline of transaction costs on Airtel Money:
|Minimum||Maximum||Transfer to all Networks||Withdrawal from Airtel Money Agent|
|1, 001||1, 500||15||27|
|1, 501||2, 500||24||27|
|2, 501||3, 501||33||49|
|3, 501||5, 000||36||66|
|5, 001||7, 501||45||82|
|7, 501||10, 000||51||110|
|10, 001||15, 000||57||159|
|15, 001||20, 000||60||176|
|20, 001||25, 000||66||187|
|25, 001||30, 000||66||187|
|30, 001||35, 000||66||187|
|35, 001||40, 000||66||275|
|40, 001||45, 000||66||275|
|45, 001||50, 000||66||275|
|50, 001||70, 000||66||275|