How to Book S.G.R. By Phone in Kenya
The Kenya standard gauge railway, commonly known as the S.G.R., is a modern railway transport system operating from Nairobi to Mombasa. It can be a cargo train or a passenger train.
With improvement in technology, one can book a ticket in the comfort of your home or place of work.
To book an S.G.R. ticket via phone,
- one needs to be a registered Safaricom mobile subscriber with an active M-PESA account.
- On your phone, dial the S.G.R. USSD code *639#,
- then follow prompts.
- Once you are done, you receive a confirmation SMS shortly with your S.G.R. account number that you will need to print your ticket at the terminus or the station.
One can buy a maximum of 5 tickets with one transaction at any time of the day. You can book your ticket seven days before your official travel day. One can also book a return ticket under the condition that it is within the seven days window. For group bookings with more than 20 passengers, the booking should be made nine days before the travel day.
SGR Contact information
- For booking passenger ticket contact 0709 388 888.
- For complaint, inquiries, lost or found items, contact 0709 388 887
- Kenya railways headquarters customer care number 0709 707 000 or you can email them [email protected]
- For more information, visit their website via http://www.krc.co.ke
Read Also How to Check for 2021 Form One Selection
You should not confuse booking S.G.R. by phone and booking it online. For the online case, one has to fill a form online with details like name(s), I.D. number, travel date, destination number of passengers booking with their names and nationality. For more information about online booking, visit the website https://www.kenyanbackpacker.com
Important notes when traveling by S.G.R.
- You should be at the terminus 1 ½ hours before departure; this is to facilitate fleet security verification and other things like obtaining a ticket
- G.R. has two classes the first class(V.I.P.) and economic class
- There are two trains, the intercounty, which stops at terminuses like Athiriver, Email, Voi, Miritini, other terminuses, and the Madaraka Express, which travels from Nairobi to Mombasa direct without stoppages.
- The S.G.R. management allows passengers with up to 30kg cargo.